[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 5 01:35:00 MDT 2011

> One wonders how HHDL became involved indeed.  How does this square
> with his position on the Shugden faction?
>

> Kobutsu

It is rather simple, and a principle we use here in the islands, where we have
a multitide of ethnic groups:  only Portugie can make fun of Portugie, only
Chinese can make fun of Chinese, only Japanese can make fun of Japanese, etc.
So it is not denigration if you are denigrating your own religion!  The
problem comes when the religion you are "criticizing" claims to be an entirely
new religion.  I guess then you have to shut up.

The World Religions requirement has me puzzled  in terms of several traditons.
It says this must be approved by an "apex"?  For Catholics this is no problem,
but for Muslims?   Who is the apex, Sunni or Shia?  And for Buddhism?  It only
gets worse.   So I guess I should not say anything, because it might affect
someone's market share.
--
James Andy Stroble,
University of Hawaii