[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 00:56:34 MDT 2011

Hi Dan,

I see you are in shape and doing fine as usual. :-) I will leave
Ramadan, the neocons and the left aside and will move straight onto the
denigration. As you say, this is what religions themselves do, and have
always done. I would even add that is how they came into being and
survive. It must be organic. Religions/sects/schools whatever also love
to hide their origins, that is other religions/sects/schools, and need
to differentiate themselves from them. With too much similarity, the
slightest difference becomes emblematic and will always be frowned upon.

As for your proposal to substitute denigration by the slightly more
useful criterion diffamation, I am afraid I don't share your lukewarm
enthusiasm. "Truth" and "true" are not exactly  the first ideas that pop
up when I see a religion. So then to point out things that are (even
less?) "not true" about it would be very hard. I am afraid we would run
out of leeway.  But if it will find Tariq Ramadan guilty, then it may
still be worthwhile. Otherwise we could always find another criterion.

Your conclusion sounds about right to me.

Joy

"Which criticism is "fair" (and we should be even more afraid of a
culture that does not tolerate criticism)? Maybe in the post-modern
world, we all need to become duplicitous denigrators like Ramadan,
finding a way to maintain a veneer of "tolerance" as we promote our lies. "