[Buddha-l] Return of blasphemy?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Nov 4 06:58:41 MDT 2011

I suspected that this was a bad idea before the conference ever took
place. Why did I suspect that? Two words: Tariq Ramadan. Attending any
sort of a gathering with him seems, to me, to be a violation of that
most basic Dharmic principle: always keep an open mind, but don't open
your mind so much that your brains fall out.

Tariq Ramadan is the grandson of Hassan al Banna, and Hassan al Banna is
the guy whose smiling face graces the official logo of the Egyptian
Islamic Brotherhood (along with a Koran and two crossed swords):
http://www.godissues.org/wp-content/uploads/muslim-brotherhood-hassan-al-banna.jpg

For more on Tariq Ramada, see Caroline Fourest's "Brother Tariq: The
Doublespeak of Tariq Ramadan":
http://www.encounterbooks.com/books/brothertariq/?tab=excerpt

All that being said, I don't pretend to know what His Holiness should do
and shouldn't do. An essential part of his message as a teacher is the
promotion of religious tolerance. Unfortunately the idea of religious
tolerance has been badly mangled to the point that unless one is willing
to break bread with the Tariq Ramadan's of the world then one is labeled
an "Islamophobe". Nor is His Holiness in a position to dictate to
Muslims who should or should not represent them at such gatherings.

Here's an excerpt from the publisher's blurb of Caroline Fourest's book:

"In this incisive and insightful study of the man, well-known French
writer and journalist Caroline Fourest dissects the public
pronouncements of Tariq Ramadan. Drawing on his numerous books, articles
and speeches as sources, she demonstrates with chilling clarity that the
West has been beguiled by Ramadan’s doublespeak.

"Tariq Ramadan is slippery. He says one thing to his faithful Islamist
followers and something else entirely to his Western audience. His
choice of words, the formulations he uses – even his tone of voice –
vary, chameleon-like, according to his audience. In most people, this
would be merely funny or irritating, but Tariq Ramadan is too
influential a figure to be dismissed so lightly.

"Caroline Fourest does an incalculable service. In this long-overdue
English translation of Brother Tariq she proves, once and for all, that
Tariq Ramadan is not to be trusted. Ramadan has been portrayed as the
Martin Luther King of Islam. This study reveals that he is a far more
sinister character at the forefront of a militant and reactionary Islam."

Curt Steinmetz