[Buddha-l] Prof. Leslie Kawamura

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 15:55:33 MST 2011

Very sad news indeed. Leslie's health was declining, but we were all hoping
he would hang in there just a bit longer (a Festschrift in his honor is
underway -- we were hoping he would be here to receive it).

In addition to the "extraordinary kindness, gentleness and humility"
mentioned by Richard, all who knew him enjoyed his endless warmth and good
humor. Beneath that endearing exterior was a keen textualist, skilled in
Tibetan, Chinese, Sanskrit, Japanese, who had the good sense and wisdom
throughout his career as a buddhologist, from the time he was a student
until his final projects, to keep Yogacara at the center of his work (though
he was an ordained Jodo Shinshu priest).

A brief biography can be found here:

http://www.bcc.ca/ldc/directors_message/kawamura_biography.html

Dan