[Buddha-l] Abhidharma vindicated once again

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 8 14:37:02 MST 2011

Op 08-03-11 07:09, Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> This body of research suggests the French enlightenment view of human
> nature, which emphasized individualism and reason, was wrong. The British
> enlightenment, which emphasized social sentiments, was more accurate about
> who we are. It suggests we are not divided creatures. We don't only progress
> as reason dominates the passions. We also thrive as we educate our emotions.
>
> [
I think the emphasis on the social pratitya samutpada is very wise, but
there's strong nationalistic bias. I do  not know how many
enlightenments the writer wants. He obviously overlooked the Icelandic,
the Baltic and the Maltese ones. Anyway the Anglosaxon analytic
philosophy is deplete with individualistic logicist reason. The first
sociologist was Emile Dürkheim, and he was French, other champions of
nonindividualism are Bakhtim (Russian), Foucault (French) and
structuralists (continental). But being a conservative nationalist, what
would he know?
Buddhism is pretty individualistic as well.
BTW thank you Dan for the historical oversight of the TOD. It just
proves what Herman is arguing all the time: TOD is a conventional rule
and the difference between life and death is not a two way switch, but
more like a dimmer.

erik