[Buddha-l] Abhidharma vindicated once again

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 11:52:52 MST 2011

Herman, my friend, arguing with/against me won't create facts on the ground.

The "after" death issue: This is the way most sources, including the clip
from HHDL, speak of it.

I called it a liminal space between life and death.

There is a normative description of what is SUPPOSED to happen, and every
effort is made for that to take place, or to "see" exactly that.

If vital signs (temperature, breathing, pulse, blood pressure, brain
activity, electrical activity on the skin or elsewhere in th body, etc.)
continue, then the body is not dead. If all those are absent, then the
person is dead.

It remains unclear whether the claim of HHDL about the rinpoche whose death
was monitored involved a "faint" continuance of some vital signs, or an
extended flatline period followed by some fluctuations. In the first case,
the person would not be dead (and thus nothing strange about retaining body
heat and brain activity, and thus no decay -- if the heart is not
functioning at that time, THAT would be strange, but not unprecedented --
more on this below). If all vital signs are absent for an extended period
(several days), and then a flicker crosses the machines, one might do well
to search for causes (anyone near the body with any battery-powered devices?
etc.).

Until there are clearly established studies laying out whether either of the
above scenarios takes place -- and not just stereotyped anecdotes which, by
their nature, are designed to confirm faith and expectation, not explore
alternate explantions or focus on anomalies, the question of tukdam remains
open and healthy skepticism is not unwarranted.

If tukdam takes place while someone is still alive, then it's nothing
special. If it takes place after death (of the body), then it is something
special (but impossible to verify).

Cake and eat it too time.

> Or take this sentence from the description of Chogye Trichen Rinpoche's
> tukdam :  "The high lamas commented that

Second hand hearsay won't cut it. What would you EXPECT them to say?

>rosy cheeks.

There are only two ways to get rosy cheeks: (1) extra blood flows to the
cheeks (that would require a beating heart and a vascular system that is
still functioning), or (2) artificially (makeup, etc.). Get it?

> Oh, you're being funny ! But you must have overlooked my point.

No, you've ignored mine, which is that nirodha-samapatti has NOT been used
in that way in Buddhist literature for the last 2500 years, which should
tell you something (if you are listening).

> Let's find something simple to agree on ; it would be very nice to have
> some thorough reports of careful case studies of people in tukdam.
> Don't you think so too ?

"Case studies"? If anecdotal, breathless descriptions of "miracles," no.
There seem to be plenty of those already and they clarify nothing except a
strong propensity to confirm prior belief and validate the stereotype. If
carefully monitored by non-credulous observers, well versed in the sorts of
things documented in the Justin Ritzinger
and Marcus Bingenheimer piece and the sources they cite, then we might have
something to talk about it.
http://buddhistinformatics.ddbc.edu.tw/~mb/publications/Ritzinger-Bingenheimer%28buddhistMummies%29.pdf

As for what counts as "death," the simplest definition would be the absence
of any discernible vital signs from which the person does not awaken.

This is an area of great interest to doctors, scientists, etc., and the
"medical" definition of death I gave (called the Harvard Medical Definition
of Death) has been one of the standard ones used by MDs and hospitals for
several decades, stipulating the 24 hour period because there were cases of
people flatlining and then rescusitating. It has become routine in hospitals
around the world to bring back people who flatline, with various means
(paddles [you see that on tv all the time], adrenaline injected directly
into the heart [Pulp Fiction], cpr, etc.). That raised the question of how
long could someone lack vital signs and still be rescusitate-able? And if
flatlined for a long time, could they be rescusitated with no permanent
damage, or would the lack of oxygen, etc. leave irreversible damage?

For the nomenclature problem, the people who flatlined and then rescusitated
were said to have undergone nde (near death experience), and if they hadn't
gone 24 hourse without brain waves they were not considered to have been
clinically dead.

Brief history of thanatological detection.

Life used to be associated with breath (God breaths life and a soul into
Adam in Genesis; the discourse on prana in India, Qi [ch'i] in China; pneuma
in the hellenic and hellenistic worlds, etc). No breath, you're dead. So
placing a finger or mirror by the nostrils would be used to detect if
someone was dead. No condensation, dead. But MANY people rescusitated
spontaneously -- some on the embalmer's table just in time, some sadly awoke
in coffins 6 feet under (when dug up, their remains clearly indicate they
were trying to claw their way out).

So breath as the sine qua non of life was clearly inadequate. With the
advent of stethoscopes, ekg, etc., attention shifted to the heart. Many
cases where breath stopped but the heart continued, if faintly, were
discovered. So no heartbeat, dead. But with the advent of cpr, paddles,
etc., rescusitating someone whose heart stopped became routine, so that was
no longer adequate. Attention shifted to the brain (and eeg, etc.
facilitated that shift).

Commonly the heart stopped but the brain kept going... for awhile.

It became clear that people could flatline (both heart and brain) and yet
rescusitate. Declaring such people dead while flatlined would be premature.
So the question became (and to some extent still is): How long can you go
without any vital signs and come back with a chance of being healthy?
Initially they thought three to five minutes without heart beat would allow
vestigial oxygen in the brain to keep brain tissue from dying, but if any
longer, brain tissue would be irreparably damaged (die), so if rescusitated
such a person would be severely handicapped (raising other sorts of ethical
questions). Then some cases of prolongued absence of ekg and eeg appeared,
most tellingly drowning cases (typically in winter in freezing water) in
which some children were clinically without vital signs for 24 hours or so
(though being given artificial life-preserving measures) and then awakening,
with little or no detectable brain damage -- the preservation of the tissue
being attribute to the cold (cold prevents decay).

The Harvard medical definition -- 24 hours of flat brain waves -- was meant
to cover reasonable cases. Note that hospitals and doctors usually do NOT
strap eeg machines on dead patients and wait 24 hours to declare time of
death (TOD), but usually declare TOD when someone is obviously "gone". The
technical definition and eeg, etc. only comes into play in ambiguous cases,
like certain types of comas (to know when to turn off the machines). Have
any cases been documented where someone rescusitates beyond the 24 hour
period? Yes, but very few. So the definition is always up for revision.

So either tukdam is something that occurs while someone is still alive --
heart beating keeps the cheeks rosy, the body warm, etc. -- or all the vital
signs cease -- no heart, brain, etc. -- in which case nothing would show up
on any machines. The former is unremarkable, the latter unverifiable.

Dan