[Buddha-l] Abdhidharma vindicated once again

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 6 22:41:59 MST 2011

Hi Brad,

>Just a couple points of clarification here. The six supernormal powers are
>not called iddhis but rather the abhiññas or "higher/direct knowledges."

True.

>Iddhi is restricted to the first of the six abhiññas.

Actually with the first three. The second three are sometimes assigned a
different category, as in the three watches of the night and tevijja
associations. Likely the the first three (the iddhis) and the second three
(let's call them the tevijjas for short) were spliced together at an earlier
period. But sometimes they are not separated out that clearly, and can be
lumped together as iddhis/riddhis.

>And the arupa samapattis/ayatanas are not associated with these
>powers/knowledges. The Pali texts invariably say they are the byproducts of
>the 4th rupa jhana.

Really? That's not what I've seen. Any examples of these invariable
citations?

For an example of the iddhis and abhinnas overlapping, cf. Nyayaponika's
Buddhist Dictionary, sive iddhi-paada (citing S. 51.2):

http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/iddhi_paada.htm

The "tevijjas" complicate the picture. But perhaps it would be useful to
take a step back to reflect on the process of conflationary redaction, which
is evidently at work in much of the Pali Literature, and the historical
layers of the models that are subjected to this conflation. The six abhinna
model seems a prime case of such conflationary redaction. The Nikaya's
themselves retain a number of well known variants of paticca-samupada, some
easier to conflate with the eventually standardized version of 12 nidanas,
and others with nidanas perhaps harder to squeeze in. First caution would be
to avoid following Buddhaghosa's VERY LATE conflations -- which solved
tensions, but played fast and loose with source materials (which themselves
underwent redactions in response to various developments over the centuries,
which, in turn, is what created the need for Buddhaghosa and his associates
to rework and conceptually smooth out the material). In addition, the
British scholarship on Theravada -- seeking to present Buddhism as a form of
rational humanism with minimal "superstition" -- has highlighted those
passages, such as Digha Nikaya i.213 that has Buddha himself caution people
against pursuing iddhis because they are "dangerous." For a stunning but
clear example of this sort of bias, cf. the definition of iddhi in the PTS
Pali-English Dictionary
http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.0:1:3204.pali

Note that even in Nyayaponika's aforementioned dictionary, under "iddhi" he
betrays the influence of that scholarship by includeing the statement: "They
are not a necessary condition for final deliverance." A more thorough review
of the various different canonical lists and varying uses of the term would
have been more useful.

That selectivity in scholarship -- though hard to avoid when one gets caught
up in the Zeitgeist of one's era -- causes redactional problems of another
sort. This entire theme in the literature needs a good reexamination (any
PhD candidates looking for a topic reading this?).

So let me ask: Why do you think the arupa meditations get demoted and
devalued esp. in Theravada (i.e., in some quarters -- while in others, such
as Asvaghosa's Buddhacarita, it is precisely the 5th arupya meditation that
was held to be Gautama's major innovation and addition to the teachings he
acquired from his pre-Buddhist forest mentors)? Why did entry into
parinibbana get associated with the rupa-jhanas instead of the rooftop
meditations (remember that the arupa meditations were considered accessible
ONLY to those who had already worked through the rupa-jhanas, NOT vice
versa)? What was at stake?

Inadequate answers would be: Coz that's what Buddha did. Or, that's what
Buddhaghosa says.

Dan