[Buddha-l] A friendly Quaker-Buddhist debate

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 10 15:33:56 MDT 2011

It is a common misconception that the Buddha himself decided that he was
enlightened, and that that was that.

In fact, the Buddha sat at the feet of the two (count 'em, two)
different gurus, both of whom "certified" that he had learned everything
they had to teach. But even after that he went and practiced austerities
until he had managed to reach the point where he was about to physically
die, and he was able to see in his own mind that he had no fear of
physical death or attachment to his body at all. But even after that he
continued meditation practice until he reached the point where he was
finally "almost there", by his own estimation. And then at that point
Mara let him have it with everything all at once. And then the Buddha
called upon the Earth Goddess, and She obligingly obliterated Mara and
his demon hordes, AND THEN, well, as the old saying goes, a miracle
occurred (http://ofgodandlogic.com/morality/miracle/images/math.gif).

So if we are to follow the Buddha's example properly, we should first
get the approval of TWO living masters and (very politely) reject them
both as insufficient, and then practice austerities to the point of
death, and then practice meditation until the Gods Themselves show up
and do terrible battle right there in front of us.

Curt Steinmetz