[Buddha-l] MARYSVILLE: American Buddhism facing generationalshift

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 19 16:55:12 MDT 2011

On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:02 , Gad Horowitz wrote:

> Perhaps the sapient Quaker knew that God's own language, Hebrew ( though now
> appropriated by the evil Zionists) names the days likewise--first,
> second...up to Shabbat.

Ya-ta-he,

I had no idea about that, Gad, and probably the early Quakers also had no idea. They almost prode (if that is the past tense of "pride") themselves on not knowing Hebrew, Greek or Latin—some of them could barely read or write English—so it's unlikely they wittingly borrowed the idea from Hebrew. Since they got everything they knew by direct revelation from the Holy Ghost, however, which no doubt used Hebrew conventions as it crammed holy ideas into the thick skulls of northern English shoemakers and hatters, it is obvious that Hebrew was the ultimate source of their quaint habit.

I have to admit that all along I have been laboring under the delusion that God's own language is Sanskrit. Thanks for that correction, although it saddens me to learn I have devoted my life to learning the wrong languages. And to think I was planning to learn Navajo, on the advice of a fellow down the hall who assures me that that is God's own language.

Hágoóneé,
Richard