[Buddha-l] Using (or not using) Library.nu

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jul 19 09:33:53 MDT 2011

'Library.nu used to be gigapedia.com .'

Ah yes, I began to get the picture when I registered with a name
that came back as already a user,
it was my old gigapedia username.

Joanna
-------------------------------------

On Behalf Of Margaret Gouin
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:57 AM

On 19 July 2011 05:58, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> On another matter of practical reason, do any of you have any
> unfounded emotion-based convictions to share on the matter of
whether
> it is acceptable to download books from a website registered on
the
> Polynesian Island state of Niue? The site http://library.nu/
has some
> 65000 electronic reproductions of books...

This issue of unlicensed downloads has come under discussion
recently with regard to the Buddha Torrents
(http://buddhisttorrents.blogspot.com/) site:
see

http://americanbuddhist.blogspot.com/2011/07/stealing-sharing-pre
cepts-wisdom.html

and subsequent posts.

Library.nu used to be gigapedia.com; yes lots of illegal books.
I've occasionally downloaded electronic copies of books I already
own, for the convenience of carrying some of my library in my
netbook. I have moral conflicts over academic pricing: why should
a publisher charge over US$100 for an ebook? or even for a
hardback, come to that? How free should knowledge be?

A vexed question in many ways.

--
Margaret Gouin
http://independent.academia.edu/ad3b