[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 15 07:02:26 MDT 2011

Op 15-07-11 15:51, andy schreef:
> <snip>

> yes, this is the difficulty with asserting any universal moral rules.
> The Ali'i
> or royal classes in ancient Hawai'i thought that incest was a very good thing.
The concepts of crime and misdemeanor are a direct consequence of man
being a zo-on politicon and every society needs rules and punishments.
These do not have to be part of an ethical system, although some idea of
how one has to relate to others and society as a whole are necessary. We
have examples in hinduism where one is advised for insance to be a
vaisnava from the outside, but inwardly a tantric.
> The question whether the Buddhist take on these things is true, or just
> complying with societal expectations for mendicants.

Something that has not come up yet is that the final jusitfication of
virtue ethics is the examplary person. Why do I do this? Because the
guru would have acted this way in such a situation. She is my beacon.
Here is where the refuge comes in. This is in principle a free and
unjustifiable act of the will.

erik