[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 14 06:15:50 MDT 2011

Hi Andy,
the classical legend about the Buddha is that he found a solution for
what he saw as the most fundamental human problem. He didn't claim to be
intimate with the boss of the universe, nor to have found a universal
set of rules. Later in Mahayana teachings there is a strong confidence
in the assumption that eventually every living being will agree with the
Buddha. But Buddhist prescriptions are only valid for Buddhists, those
have have taken refuge and that is something you are free to chose.
I sense some doubt in your comment about this freedom and if you look at
Confucius and Mencius it is clear that you are not free to chose in
their virtue ethics, because if you do not try to become a true
gentleman you will go down in the ladder of status and become an outcast
eventually. That is why radical Daoist revert to nature and leave
society to dwell in solitude or live the life of an outcast. So if
virtue ethics becomes a general duty, it loses it's individual freedom.
Now the injunction of incest is not univesal either. Levi-Strauss
discovered that in many cultures people just don't commit incest,
because that's 'only for rabbits'. They never thought about explicit
laws or regulions.
So my conclusion is that in many cultures laws and injunctions are not
top priority, but this may feel somewhat counter intuitive for someone
who is brought up with these things.

erik