[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 10:15:11 MDT 2011

Thank you, Lance.

> As far as I know, an equivalent to pratikṣepaṇa in this usage in not
> found.

Since prajñapti-sāvadya is a common synonym for pratikṣepaṇa-sāvadya, the
paññattisāvajja in the Spk-pṭ I 86 passage does the job, I imagine.

> I get the impression that the Chinese texts introduce a moralistic tinge
> which is not there in the Indian texts. That said, I suppose that for a
> monk the rules are laid down by the Buddha and some of the rules at
> least are definite prohibitions.

Perhaps. Here is part of what Muller's DDB says re: pratikṣepaṇa-sāvadya:

"遮罪 crime not wrong in itself, e.g. taking alcohol, but forbidden by the
Buddha for the sake of the other precepts; transgression of this is
therefore a sin against the Buddha."

Digital Dictionary of Buddhism, under 二罪 (er zai, "two kinds of crimes")
http://tinyurl.com/6l9o2qh
[type "guest" for password, without quotation marks, leave username blank,
for access and 10 searches a day; BTW, you can try searching for Sanskrit or
Pali terms - with or without diacriticals, not just Chinese.]

One of the terms that er zai ("two types of crimes") renders is ubhayāvadya,
"two types of avadya"; avadya does carry a strong sense of deserving of
censure, blame, non-praiseworthy, but also includes imperfection, vice, etc.
in its meanings. I think drawing too sharp a distinction between the
subjective-sense of assigning blame and the objective sense of being
blameworthy, such that these terms would only denote one but not the other
is questionable, though there may be ideologically attractive reasons for
wanting to do so.

Dan