[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 05:26:21 MDT 2011

> Thanks for the links. Any references to texts in Sanskrit?

I haven't compiled a Skt reading list on the topic, and accessible, easily
searchable Sanskrit resources are still lagging far behind East Asian and
Tibetan sources (even the Pali Canon with some extra-canonical materials has
been readily available for some years).

Here is one passage from the Bodhisattvabhumi -- rather a twisted ethical
argument, which I have written on (essay is coming out in an edited volume
on Levinas and Asian thought). Asanga is stirring dangerous waters. He is
not defining the terms (he assumes we are familiar with them), but trying to
more or less reverse or neutralize them. This passage played an important
role in early Tibetan Buddhist history (used to justify the assassination of
a king who was persecuting Buddhism), and was discussed in detail later on
by the likes of Tsongkhapa:

asti ca kiṃcit prakṛti-sāvadyam api yad bodhisattvas
tad-rūpeṇopāya-kauśalena samudācarati yenānāpattikaś ca bhavati bahu ca
puṇyaṃ prasūyate| yathā 'pi tad bodhisattvaḥ coraṃ taskaraṃ
prabhūtānāṃ prāṇiśatānāṃ mah'ātmanāṃ
śrāvaka-pratyekabuddha-bodhisattvānāṃ vadhāyodyatam āmiṣa-kiṃcitka-hetoḥ
prabhūt' ānantarya-karma-kriyā-prayuktaṃ paśyati| dṛṣṭvā ca punar evaṃ
cetasā cittam abhisaṃskaroti| yady apy aham enaṃ prāṇinaṃ jīvitād
vyaparopya narakeṣūpapadyeya| kāmaṃ bhavatu me narakopapattiḥ| eṣa ca
sattva ānantaryaṃ karma kṛtvā mā bhūn naraka-parāyaṇa iti| evam-āśayo
bodhisattvas taṃ prāṇinaṃ kuśala-citto 'vyākṛta-citto vā viditvā
ṛtīyamānaḥ anukaṃpā-cittam ev' āyatyām upādāya jīvitād vyaparopayati|
anāpattiko bhavati bahu ca puṇyaṃ prasūyate||

yathā 'pi tad bodhisattvaḥ ye sattvā rājāno vā bhavaṃti rāja-mahā-mātrā va
adhimātra-raudrāḥ sattveṣu nirdayā ekāṃta-para-pīḍā-pravṛttāḥ| tāṃ
satyāṃ śaktau tasmād rājy'aiśvary' ādhipatyāc cyāvayati yatra sthitās te
tan-nidānaṃ bahv-apuṇyaṃ prasavaṃty anukaṃpācitto hita-sukh' āśayaḥ.

(Wogihara, p. 165-166; Wogihara Unrai, ed. (1971) Bodhisattvabhūmi. Tokyo:
Sankibo Buddhist Book Store. Originally publ. 1930-36)

>There is nothing about ethics in the vinaya.

Yes and no. Lots of rules, true. The interesting "ethical reasoning" part is
when the situations that lead to the formulation of the rule -- and the
principles by which the rules are devised -- are provided.

>It's nothing but rules that one must adhere to if one expects to get alms
>in fifth century BCE India.

I share that cynical view of a good chunk of it, such as the rules
concerning 'meat' (aside from the prohibition on thigh soup). But some are
more general, clear attempts at a middle way applied concretely (e.g., the
height of a bed, type of robes, footwear, etc.). Concessions for the sake of
alms demonstrates that the principles never violate what is practical and
feasible, itself a very prudent principle. The rules on medicine and
treating the sick, which trump most other rules (e.g., allowing women to
interact with men on "off hours," and even touch men when ministering
medicines and care; etc.) reinforce this. Rules against hunting on the
"preserves" in which Buddhists dwell (like the Deer Park) also demonstrate a
gentle way of pushing back against the cultural norm.

>It looks like an interesting distinction, sort of like a distinction
>between something that one finds repugnant because it is toxic—people gag
>when they smell rotten food to prevent them from eating something that
>could kill them—and something that one has been taught to find repugnant
>through religious indoctrination.

The 'natural crime' is not "naturized" that way. It is more along the lines
of what we might consider generally or universally condemnable wrongdoing:
murder, stealing, lying, and so on. Stuff that any culture, anywhere would
condemn. This is what all humans, by virtue of having been born human, are
obligated to adhere to (regardless of urges to do otherwise).

The violations of monastic codes are exactly that. Once one takes monastic
vows one is obligated to follow those rules, recognized as above and beyond
what humans are normally called upon to obey. Violating these rules can
result in punishment and even expulsion, depending on the degree of severity
of the transgression.

Point is, neither the 'natural crime' nor the 'monastic crime' involves
"voluntary" adherence. For humans, the "human rules" are in effect, whether
one likes them or not, or wants to follow them or not. One abstains from
killing, not as an experiment in voluntary practice, but because it violates
a natural law of sorts. One may or may not "volunteer" to become a monastic,
but once one IS a monastic, the monastic codes are not voluntary, but
compulsory and obligatory. Their compulsory nature and enforcement are not
arbitrary.

>>> Just to be 100% accurate, it's accuracy that I take seriously, not
>>> "accuracy".
>>
>> Can I quote you on that? In quotes?
>
> Yes, of course.  Just remember to use single quotes inside the double
> quotes.

perfect.

Dan