[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 12 16:00:17 MDT 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 11:54 , Dan Lusthaus wrote:

>> Knowing how deeply Dan treasures accuracy, I feel obligated to point out
>> that no one here has said anything about rights.
>
> It was the elephant in the room, Richard.

I didn't see it, perhaps because I think about the matter almost exactly as you do, or at least I agree completely with what you said, which is that people do not have a right to eat animals, but a capacity. To apply rights to this issue is not at all helpful.

>> But I think it's pretty clear that there is no inherent danger of a person
>> whose focus is on virtues being narcissistic.
>
> Evidence and testimony seems to suggest otherwise.

I have not seen the evidence, nor have I heard the testimonies, but I'd be happy to consider any that you can provide. If evidence and testimonies are for public consumption, please provide them. There's nobody here but us empiricists.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM