[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 10 09:03:18 MDT 2011

Wise words at last. I remember a year or so ago there was a review on
this list of a book about Buddhist selfmutilation in China. Many Asian
monks took the Jataka about  the Bodhisattva offering himself as food
for a hungry tigress as a prescription, while Indian readers never
failed to see it as a hyperbole. Apart from the proverbial lack of
hygiene in Indian cooking, conspicuous using of fingers in table manners
and the typical monkish boasting and attachment to rules, the same
appears to be the case here. I would not be surprised if Chinese monks
hired leprose to throw their fingers in the mifang so they could eat
themselves closer to Buddhahood.

erik