[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jul 9 14:23:30 MDT 2011

Not a culinary question, but regarding the issue of whether
marginal people were admitted for ordination, etc.:
Was Angulimala a tribal, a jangal-dweller or forest hunter -- or
a villager turned criminal?

Thanks,
Joanna
--------------

I don't think there is any very clear indication in the earlier
texts.
Probably they simply followed the practice of the day. Later it
is very clear. Part of the point of stories of those who offered
a single flower to a past Buddha is that anyone can make such an
offering. And with food a small amount of rice can always be
placed in the bowl. The important thing is the intention.

I don't know any evidence of preaching specifically to the poor.
But they would be part of the audience for preaching intended
generally.

One could think of a story such as the cattle herd Nanda who
asked for ordination (S IV 181). The Buddha insisted on his
returning to his master and handing over the cattle. He said the
cattle would return on their own, but the Buddha repeated his
insistence. So he did so and returned for ordination.
Interestingly this followed a sermon ostensibly addressed to the
monks, but Nanda was seated nearby.

Lance