[Buddha-l] Non attached & mindful culinary triumphalism?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 05:44:01 MDT 2011

Artur,

> I have always wondered about Mahakassapa's [...]
> eating almsfood obtained from a leper and containing his fallen off
> rotten finger, [...] feeling
> no disgust, "neither while eating it, nor having eaten [it]".

This is a theme that receives expanded treatment in later tantra (eating,
etc., in graveyards, practicing 'neutrality' with a host of disgusting
items, from skulls, to body wastes, etc.).

The key factor in Mahakassapa's case is the fact that he is laboring under
the absolute and inviolate rule that a monk must eat whatever is placed in
his begging bowl, with no preference or favorites. That still seems to be
the case in Theravadin countries and is the cause of more than one western
novice monastic deciding that Taiwan or Korea might be a better place to
pursue the Dharma than Thailand, e.g., since the insect larvae and other
non-appetizing things that too often find their way into the begging bowls
will not happen to Taiwanese or Korean monastics, who are strict vegetarians
(the Koreans generally even stricter than the Taiwanese or Chinese) and
treated as such by the populace.

The issue, as a practitioner working under that rule, is how to overcome the
natural revulsion at such things, and abide by the rule that one must
consume whatever is in one's bowl. Whether Mahakassapa could have
adjudicated the situation by determining that the finger is human flesh and
thus forbidden (assuming his leper encounter occurred AFTER Buddha made the
no-human-flesh rule), and thus refusing to eat it, or whether he simply
decided to eat it as a type of practice of upekkha (neutrality), is for the
reader (or commentary) to pontificate on.

Since one assumes the leper finger fell off unintentionally, it was not
'slaughtered' esp. for mahakassapa, and thus the usual meat prohibition
against eating anything specially killed for one did not apply. Perhaps
discarded leper fingers are not considered '(living) human body' and instead
would be classified as discarded human waste, like urine or excrement. That
it is clearly diseased flesh would make a normal person gag and be repulsed.
That he ate it with equinimity is meant to display his advanced stage of
practice. If he would start frequenting leper colonies looking for food (and
more occasional fingers) as a result. THAT would be a problem.

Dan