[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Jul 6 20:27:13 MDT 2011

Dan et al.,

(Now I really *have* set my personal record. Thanks, Dan, for the
final push.)

You know that scene in "Finding Nemo" where Dorrie calls Marlin a
"Gloomy Gus"? (But also note <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Gus_Henderson> which I was not aware of until just this minute.)
That's what I thought of when I read your post. Still, you raise vital
questions. I think that, as Bruce Burrill points out, The Lotus Sutra
is triumphalist. But is the early layer of the suttas? Perhaps not in
the sense that the Abrahamic scriptures demand followers to be. So
should employ a different word for Buddhist self-pride? In the face of
real relativist/universalist views, I don't think we can simply say
such pride is "normal." Can we find a middle word here?

Or, with a bit more nuance, wouldn't you agree that the point of the
repeated mentions of "Sravakas, Pratyekabuddhas and Bodhisattvas" is
to praise those beings (and Buddhas) who have *got it* when one else
does? So perhaps we're talking about a kind of triumphalism not of
Buddhism, but of awakening. That distinction might help.

Oh, and I don't know about others, but, Dan, I promise that though I
am aware that stars don't give a damn about me, and that the planet is
doomed, I shall still try to be the more loving one. And that is, I
hope, moral.

So cheer up, Gloomy Gus!

Franz