[Buddha-l] Buddha's Meditation

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 15:35:47 MDT 2011

Will someone distribute de-confusion-de-conflation pills to the fevered
throng here? That Buddhists should think Buddhism is best is normal, not
triumphalism. Please use words properly.

An all too common strategy -- labeled viparyasa (literally -- turning
something upside down) by Buddhism -- is to misidentify something by
something else, and then condemn it for being that. One would think that
Buddhists triumphally drove muslims from the Kush, central asia and India,
rather than the other way around -- and wrote long epics and reports of how
they did it. Oh, wait... that too was by muslims.

Let's blame the victims.

The eminent but thoroughly confused Dr. Hayes needs to explain why Buddhists
include in the list of triyanas, pratyekabuddhas, viz. people who find
enlightenment without exposure to or interaction with Buddhism. Sravakas,
Pratyekabuddhas and Bodhisattvas. If I had a nickel for everytime that triad
is mentioned in a Buddhist text I could retire today. No Buddhist should be
proud of being  Buddhist instead of being a relativist? But relativists
should feel superior to Buddhists by making a virtue of being noncommital.
Very healthy.

That one almost inevitable byproduct of such viparyasa is to condone actual
violence in the name of condemning violence is also evident.

We can sleep better tonight knowing that redwoods, rhinoceroses
< http://tinyurl.com/3retpjs >, Buddhists, and all other living things can
be exterminated since planets and stars too don't last forever. What silly,
fallacious reasoning. And how immoral.

Maybe it is time to let this group die its death. There's been precious
little Buddhism here for many years.

Dan