[Buddha-l] Meditation changes the brain structure

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jan 27 20:12:46 MST 2011

Esteemed Gang,

Steve wrote (or, I believe, quoted):

> A study at University College London in the UK has found that
> conservatives' brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of
> liberals. Amygdalas are responsible for fear and other "primitive"
> emotions. At the same time, conservatives' brains were also found to
> have a smaller anterior cingulate -- the part of the brain
> responsible for courage and optimism.

Oh, sometimes I LOVE science! And if this is not enough to bring
Richard Hayes out of hiding, nothing is. Still, even if he doesn't
comment, I am sure you have lightened his heart, Steve.

Thanks for this post and all your others, which are consistently both
provocative and wise.

Franz
(who's now even more strongly rooting for Colin Firth in the Best
Actor Oscar race)