[Buddha-l] Karmapa once again

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Feb 10 07:58:42 MST 2011

Well thanks Alex for providing the story.
If they had mules and the various backups you mention, they could
have brought out the currency --in cloth bags looking like
supplies, or whatever.
JK

===================

Joanna wondered:
> Just a note about the currency: When HHDL fled Tibet he went
with an
> entourage and pack animals--is the  Karmapa said to have been
> traveling alone? I doubt it.

No, but the party was very small - I think it was four people. A
jeep was involved at first, a taxi came into play at one point,
and some of the journey was on foot and with hired mules. The
situation was quite different from that of the Dalai Lama's
flight: Tsurphu was under the control of Chinese soldiers, and
the territory all around was under full occupation.
All their preparatory moves had to be done with the cover of
excuses and under the eyes of the guards. Once they had escaped,
they had to move quickly and quietly. Discovery would have had
them all arrested (at best).
The story has been written up quite thoroughly - forgive me for
writing from memory.
AW