[Buddha-l] Karmapa once again

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Wed Feb 9 01:28:38 MST 2011

Joanna wrote:
> Speaking of the Chinese currency found with him, I could imagine
> that when he fled to India he took a big bunch of it with him.
We cannot of course know, but if you read the story in detail I think you
may see that this is rather unlikely. Some, of course, but a big bunch - not
really on the cards. He would have had little or no access to cash there in
Rumtek, the preparations for the escape had, of course, to be done secretly,
and the circumstances prevented taking any more of anything than was
essential.

> However, the idea that a 14 year old couldn't be a spy is
> silly--many 14 year olds are first-rate spies. Anyone with a
> teenager knows this.
I get the humour :-) but the idea that in those seven years he could be
turned into a decade-long (or decades?) "sleeper" is, as Erik suggests,
perhaps suitable for Dan Brown or for sensationalist press, but not for
serious consideration.

All the best
Alex W