[Buddha-l] Citation?

Clough, Bradley Bradley.Clough at mso.umt.edu
Sun Feb 6 16:15:54 MST 2011

Dear Friends,

I have heard a Theravada story where the Buddha is sitting, surrounded by his disciples, and he begins by saying "See there, those people who are most inclined toward practice using powers are gathered with my great disciple Mahamoggallana. And those whose karma takes them to develop their path through wisdom you see over there with my great disciple Sarputta. And those whose karma makes them most inclined to develop the path through the rules of discipline are over there with my great disciple Upali..."

Does anyone know if this passage is from the Pali Canon and if so, what the exact citation would be?

Thanks,
Brad

Bradley S. Clough
The University of Montana