[Buddha-l] Linux WP for Tibetan?

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Sun Dec 11 19:21:11 MST 2011

Wow!
-------------------------

On Behalf Of Bernard Simon
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2011 6:37 PM

Since I started this controversy, I thought I should clear things up.
I'm planning on replacing my Mac with a Dell running Ubuntu Linux, so I am
making sure it can do everything I need. When I first experimented with
Libre Office I had problems, both with ligatures and selecting text by the
usual mouse click and drag. After reading Chris's reply this morning I tried
again and couldn't duplicate the problems. So chalk it all up to user error.

Here's a bit about how Tibetan Unicode is handled on Ubuntu Linux.
Converting keystrokes to unicode characters is handled by a program called
Ibus, which is not enabled by default, but which can be enabled through the
system administration interface. Ubuntu does not ship with Tibetan fonts,
but free fonts are available and easy to install.
Ubuntu Linux ships with Libre Office, a fork of Open Office, one of several
that happened after Oracle bought out Sun Computer and inherited (and
mismanaged) its open source efforts. I find that it's overkill for my needs
and I am going to use Abiword, which does not ship with Ubuntu, but is a one
click install through its interface. It handles Tibetan at least as well as
Libre/Open Office, starts up faster, and handles basic word processing
(which is all I need.)