[Buddha-l] Bourgeois Buddhism

Christopher Fynn chris.fynn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 22:49:56 MST 2011

Westerners generally expect anyone who is "ordained" and wearing
religious robes to have studied at a seminary or something prior to
ordination. But almost any man can become ordained as Buddhist monk
without any educational qualification and little if any knowlege of
the Buddha's teachings. However I think taking and keeping the
precepts of a Buddhist monk is usually seen as a form of practice
which, in itself, encompass the 8-Fold Path - and, from that
viewpoint, you could say these monks are practicing.

 - C