[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsion" of Ani Karma Lhamu?

Jo jkirk at spro.net
Fri Aug 19 17:14:22 MDT 2011

I suggested to you off-list that you need to write to the editor of the TOI
about your perception of unsubstantiated material in the original article. I
find it rather odd that you keep on repeating old news and attacking Ms
Sarkar instead of writing to the main editor of the TOI (the newspaper where
she published the article) and asking about her lack of published sources.
Isn't it the obvious next move? You don't know any more about this than you
did when your first posted about it on this list.
Quite strange, really.

Joanna
--------------------------

] On Behalf Of Curt Steinmetz
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 11:07 AM

Norbu Sherpa statement (that he had been misquoted) was in a major story
that appeared in the Nepali Times on July 22 (so it was not quite a month
ago). Here is the quote from Norbu Sherpa: "I was misquoted in the Indian
media, she was never expelled, there is no provision in Buddhism for
excommunication."

In addition, Palden Lama of the Nepal Tamang Lama Ghedung was quoted in the
same article: "Her celibacy was broken against her will, Buddhist philosophy
is about protecting, rescuing and rehabilitating the victim instead of
adding to the pain."

The Nepal Tamang Lama Ghedung is the only other Nepali Buddhist
organization, besides the NBF, that was ever identified by name as
supposedly calling for the nun's "expulsion". Sushendra Sarkar repeatedly
claimed that "15 Buddhist organizations" had put out a joint call for this
"expulsion", but she never produced even a single word quoted directly from
this nonexistent statement, and the only two organizations that she ever
named have both made it clear that they never issued any such call for
"expulsion". In other words she lied.

Here is a link to the article at the Nepali Times website with the quotes
from Norbu Sherpa and Palden Lama:
http://nepalitimes.com/issue/2011/07/22/Nation/18400

Curt Steinmetz

On 8/19/11 12:51 PM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:
> On 8/18/11 10:46 AM, Rahula wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The latest news has it that Norbu Sherpa claiming that he was misquoted.
But NBF said it was his personal views.....Very confusing....

> First of all, this is not "the latest news", but is rather news from
> over a month ago. It's just that the truth was not sufficiently
> salacious to get the attention that Sushendra Sarkar's lies were given
> (so some people are only just now finding out about this old news).
>
> Second of all, there is no contradiction between (1) the NBF saying
> that Norbu Sherpa spoke as an individual, and (2) Norbu Sherpa saying
> he was misquoted. So there is no cause for being " very confused".
>
> Curt Steinmetz

No virus found in this message.