[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsion" of Ani Karma Lhamu?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 18 07:28:58 MDT 2011

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just saw this one move again!

The journalist who started the whole "expulsion" scandal, Shudesna
Sarkar, has written yet another piece that started making the rounds two
days ago (August 16) under the title "Gangraped Buddhist nun faces new
ordeal." Sarkar's article has been picked up by a number of news outlets
including The Asian Age, MSN India, GreaterKashmir.Com, Gulf Times, etc
(sometimes her name is given, sometimes the byline is just "Indo-Asian
News Service").

The funny thing is, all mention of the nun being "expelled" or "facing
expulsion" have vanished from Sarkar's version of events now. There is
also no mention of any "statement" released by "15 Buddhist
organizations", nor does the name of Norbu Sherpa appear anywhere (he is
the Nepal Buddhist Federation official who was the only Buddhist source
ever cited by Sarkar to substantiate her claims).

Sarkar does not completely relent, though. She still buries one last
feeble, passive-voiced, vague-to-the-point-of-meaningless insinuation in
the closing paragraphs of the article: "there was a debate over whether
the raped nun was still eligible to remain a nun and her future became
uncertain." Who debated? What did they say? When did they say it? How,
when, and where was the "debate" settled? And: What is it that is
supposedly "uncertain" about the nun's "future"? For that matter, is
anyone's future ever "certain"?

In essence, Sarkar has now tacitly conceded that she either knowingly
made up the whole "expulsion" story, or, possibly, that she was
unknowingly fed false information that she accepted uncritically and
passed along as "fact" to the general public.

If anyone is interested in what appears to be the truth of the story,
check out this article in the Nepali Times (an article that, unlike
Sharkar's fabrications, has been completely ignored both by the world
media and by Western Buddhist bloggerdom):
http://nepalitimes.com/issue/2011/07/22/Nation/18400

Curt Steinmetz