[Buddha-l] Stephen Batchelor [was: Social codes]

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Aug 17 13:57:53 MDT 2011

Joanna,

You wrote,

> I think it's fair to say that practicers like Stephen Batchelor
> and a few others have done very well so far to communicate bridging this
> gap [between idealized and actual Buddhism].

Yes. In fact, I have to admit to a kind of spiritual crush on Stephen Batchelor. Or perhaps it's that, when I grow up, I want to be like him. In any case, my admiration for his sincerity and his candor--both internal and external--is immense.

Richard recently posted a thoughtful musing on various matters, bringing Batchelor's work into the mix. I didn't have time to comment on it then--nor do I now--but I believe his recent work (_Buddhism without Beliefs_ and _Confession of a Buddhist Atheist_) are the nearest thing to required reading for contemporary Buddhists.

Franz