[Buddha-l] Gandharan Buddhist Art at NY Asia Society

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 18:30:08 MDT 2011

Thanks, Randall.

> Richard's diacriticals are fine if I view his email at my gmail
> account using the web interface. They are messed up if I view the
> email in my email client after it downloads the mail from gmail.

Your email client - like mine -- is too dumb to mess things up. It just
follows instructions. Richard is correct that the diacriticals show up
properly in the archived version. Your "web interface" version means your
browser, yes? So the browser is smart enough to disregard the misleading
instruction that is confusing our email clients (and Donna's, and likely
others who haven't weighed in).

Browsers tend to be more leniently designed, since they need to get along
with all sorts of web pages all over the world, using a variety of encodings
and formats. Some instruction in the message puts the browser on the right
course. Some instruction in the message confuses email programs.

The best solution would be to clean up the instructions.

Dan