[Buddha-l] Gandharan Buddhist Art at NY Asia Society

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 01:44:48 MDT 2011

Lance,

> I've studied everything Lamotte says quite carefully. I don't see any
> early evidence for accounts of the evolution of the nikāyas that don't
> derive from Vasumitra or something similar. There are variant accounts
> of the second communal recitation and the events immediately following,
> but that is a very different matter.

Two separate issues: lineage relation (e.g., when and if Sarvastivada
emerges from Theravada) and progressive revisions and redactions of
Nikaya/Agama material. I was pointing at Lamotte re: the former.

For the latter, see for instance the recent
Marcus Bingenheimer's _Studies in Āgama Literature: With Special Reference
to the Shorter Chinese Saṃyuktāgama_, Dharma Drum College Special Series,
Taiwan: Shin Wen Feng Print Co., 2011.

This is a good illustration of what one finds. Marcus provides full
translations of one recension in the Chinese sources, cites some alternate
versions preserved in Chinese (but doesn't always translate them, so it
still helps to be able to check the Chinese originals for the variants), and
indexes everything to the Pali versions (when there are some). So even
without reading Chinese one can see the variance, phrase by phrase, section
by section, between Pali and alternate versions if one reads them side by
side (he doesn't do that comparison for you, but it is easy to do oneself).
There are additional versions of many of these suttas preserved in Chinese
translations, some with greater, some with lesser variance. Marcus discusses
some in his annotations and notes, but not all. Some variants can be
explained as a result of different sectarian affiliations, some as
byproducts of the industriousness (or lack thereof) of various translators,
and so on, but some are clearly products of further elaborations and
redactions, and it is pretty obvious that the redactive enterprise is
ongoing and being captured in various snapshots along their development.

Discovering this sort of process is NOT something unusual when examining
alternate versions of texts preserved in Chinese, translated at different
times. One can literally watch sutras grow, watch accretions attach
themselves and expand. This type of process has been well documented for
many major mahayana texts, but, until recently, much less attention has been
paid to the Agama material, so the same process has not been documented to
the same extent in the secondary literature. That will change soon.

> But you cannot date the Chinese sutta materials to the time of
> translation into Chinese.

That's not necessary to watch the progression. Simply noting that later
translations show "developments" beyond the earlier versions, esp. when
these are prolific and consistent, strongly argues for a continuing
developmental process. The idea that all the development took place before
anyone ever translated anything into Chinese, and that then, over the course
of several centuries, slowly various recensions are introduced and
translated that just happen to show recensional developments is a bit like
Creationists arguing that God invented everything in 6 six days but only
gradually let people know about them. Not very compelling in the face of the
evidence.

That the Indic materials have major gaps and lacunae has led to the
misimpression that nothing changed in the interims. The more one examines
the fuller range of evidence, such as what is preserved in Chinese, the more
counterintuitive and untenable that becomes.

That doesn't mean that the Nikayas/Agamas were not in large measure fixed at
a certain early stage, but that "in large measure" involves some major
caveats; lots of tinkering continued, some more obvious and disruptive than
others.

> This doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to anything we find in
> Buddhaghosa.

I'm not so sure. Let me rephrase more clearly (though I believe you probably
understood what I was trying to say). Interpretive lineages based themselves
on leading figures. For generations, even centuries, these lineages would
frame their interpretations in the name of their founder. This process has
been clearly documented in Talmudic studies, Hadith studies,
Panini-Patanjali vyakarana traditions, and so on. "So-and-so said..."
actually means someone in the lineage of so-and-so is claiming this, with
the weight of the authority of so-and-so. That we haven't gotten around to
paying attention to them in Buddhist traditions yet is a sign of our
neglect, not their absence.

Oral traditions grounding themselves in hoary authority resort to this. Same
or similar impulse that produces the profusion of pseudepigraphic (nowadays
called "apocryphal") writings.

> I think your informant is getting confused about the difference between
> Dhammapāla and Buddhaghosa.

You are correct. Bhikkhu Bodhi is indeed talking about Dhammapala's
subcommentary, not Buddhaghosa, when he says (pp.48-49):

"The main Mahayana work utilized by the author is the Bodhisattvabhumi, the
fifteenth chapter of the Yogacarabhumi... Asanga. The Bodhisattvabhumi
provides the model for the four conditions of the great aspiration, the four
causes, the traits of the great man adumbrating his future perfections, the
characteristics of the good friend, and the four powers... The
Bodhisattvabhumi has also contributed to the sections on the practice of the
paaramiis... Mahayana influence may further be discernible in the the
emphasis on compassion and skillful means, in the vows to benefit all
enings, in the statement that the bodhisattva causes beings 'to enter and
reach maturity in the three vehicles,' etc."

H. Guenther, on the other hand, in his Philosophy & Psychology in the
Abhidharma, states (p. 133):

"The author of the Atthasalini, who is, as many passages in his work reveal,
much indebted to the intellectual and spiritual acumen of the
Vijnanavadins..."

Unfortunately he does not go on to document this in any detail, but it is
the same impression I have when reading Buddhaghosa -- the commentaries AND
Visuddhimagga.

So at least we might agree that Theravada borrowing from Asanga is attested
for Dhammapala? That would be a first step.

Documenting Buddhaghosa's borrowings in his commentaries and original work
would take a long article, even a monograph, as the borrowing and influence
is extensive, sometimes masked, and sometimes more overt. With several
pressing deadlines I do not have the time now to collect the requisite
citations. (anyone reading this who wishes to contribute, please do) There
is, of course, no reason for anyone to take my word, or Guenther's, for any
of this without a display of the evidence. So put this on hold until such
time as I (or someone else) can gather the materials.

>But the likely date for this is somewhere around
> the second or third century A.D., around the same time that the vibhāṣā
> literature has developed in the north. So it would be in the earlier
> commentaries which Buddhaghosa is editing.

So now Buddhaghosa's raw material has extended from the 1st c CE to the 3rd.
Progress.

> I do not believe you can cite even one example of the influence of
> Asanga or Vasubandhu on Buddhaghosa.

Please see my discussion of Visuddhimagga in "The Two Truths (Saṃvṛti-satya
and Paramārtha-satya) in Early Yogācāra" published in Journal of Buddhist
Studies, vol. VII, 2010. Pp. 101-152, which addresses it in terms of the
Paramartha-gathas of the Yogacarabhumi. (It's available online as a PDF at
http://tinyurl.com/3nhdemh ) I don't make any historical claims of borrowing
there, but that would be a starting place to notice (initially) strong
affinities, and then parallels, and, once enough of these sorts of sections
of texts are compiled, to determine direction of influence. Since Asanga and
Vasubandhu predate Buddhaghosa, they were not borrowing from him.

> For myself, since I prefer a fourth century date for Buddhaghosa, such
> influence is unlikely.

Fifth c. is the more common consensus for his dates. That works for me.

Dan