[Buddha-l] Is there any basis for the allegations concerning the "expulsion" of Ani Karma Lhamu?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Aug 13 11:30:03 MDT 2011

On 8/13/11 10:50 AM, Rahula wrote:
> What the news report say is quite simple. The NBF is trying to distance itself from what Norbu Sherpa said. They are trying to do some damage control. And right speech is......

Your characterization is highly inaccurate, Rahula. The "news report" is
nothing but a string of falsehoods:

(1) It is claimed that there is a widespread and ongoing "debate" among
Nepalese Buddhists as to whether or not this young woman should be
drummed out of the Sangha of nuns because she was raped. That is a lie.
No such "debate" is taking place. Rather there is agreement that the nun
in question is a nun and will remain one, and will return to her
monastery as soon as she has sufficiently recovered from the attack on her.

(2) The news report poses the question: "Will she be reinstated as a
nun?" That is a lie, since she has remained a nun all along, therefore
there is no question of her "reinstatement".

(3) The news report also states that "Nepal's Buddhist organizations ...
haven't ensured that the nun will be reinstalled in her monastery." That
is a lie for two reasons. First, she was never "uninstalled", so there
is no question of her being "reinstalled". Second, the Nepal Buddhist
Federation has explicitly stated the following:

“NBF in collaboration with our allied Association Tamang Lama Gedung
Sangh and the concerned nunnery is taking steps to accommodate her back
into the nunnery when she recovers and discharged from the hospital. NBF
will do everything in its power to help restore the dignity of the nun
and continue to fight for justice.“
[full text of NBF statement here: http://www.nbf.org.np/news.php?sn=72]

(4) The article claims that the nun's future is uncertain because of
"indecision by the country's Buddhist chieftains". That is a lie. There
is no evidence whatsoever for any allegation that Nepal's Buddhist
leaders are uncertain about the fact that she will remain a nun.

Curt Steinmetz