[Buddha-l] How Khushwant Singh does

Dan Lusthaus prajnapti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:26:10 MDT 2011

> Some psychological counselors say that people can recall their
> birth traumas under the right techniques,  but I suspect these
> views are off the mark. My guess is that our cognition cannot
> recall birth because we had no thought structures by which to
> recall it.

There are baseline cognitional backgrounds -- comfort, discomfort,
agitation, relaxation, etc. -- that subtends "thought structures" which are
active in the womb and during birth and early life, which remain in the
background as we get older and thoughts crowd the foreground. Sthiramati, in
his commentary on Vasubandhu's Trimsika describes the alayavijnana as having
these sorts of background cognitions, whose objects and features (alambana
and akara) are indistinct, subliminal (aparicchinna).

Remembering can add verbal/conceptual content interpretively, like when one
remembers a past event but gains some insight into it (why one felt the way
one did, what really motivated a certain action or mood, some feature
overlooked at the time the event took place, etc.).

>Didn't Freud say that the
> feeling of 'spiritual' bliss was the oceanic sensation
> experienced in the womb?
>
> I suspect that Freud missed it, there.  Instead, such a feeling,
> as some Buddhist texts claim, could be the result of being freed
> from the thought chatter of everyday life, freed from prapanca,
> freed from ruminating, freed from self vs. other-- via a
> cultivated meditation practice. Nursing infants surely don't seem
> to be suffering from prapanca or monkey mind. If they do suffer,
> it's from colic (if they are not being starved to death by lack
> of social --er--entitlements.)

That's the crux. For Freud, no such "freedom" is possible in actuality since
life inevitably involves tension. The absence of tension is death, so all
desires for such release from tension are necessarily death wishes, since
the absence of tension is death. Buddhists and others claim otherwise. Self
vs other is a perpetual tension (emotional, psychological, ethical,
political, etc.), not something that a living person is ever freed from --
Confucians would agree. With increasing experience and wisdom one can
navigate that more and more easily, and with less and less tension. It took
Confucius 70 years to achieve the ability to do that without inner conflict.
Outer conflicts would be another story. Some ruminating is requisite for
problem solving and basic understanding. Thoughtlessness is a form of
avidya, not enlightenment (Vasubandhu and Nietzsche are in full agreement on
that point).

Question is: Are the Buddhist promises (and/or the promises of others) fairy
tales (sublimated death wishes), or legitimate possibilities? Buddhists
themselves have had their doubts through the centuries.

Unless one has personally achieved those "freedoms", the jury would still be
out.

Dan