[Buddha-l] Paper: When the Saints Go Marching In (Lachs)

Stuart Lachs slachs at att.net
Fri Apr 15 23:10:43 MDT 2011

Hi Luke,

You wrote,
"The teacher screamed at him, "I represent the Buddha,
>> you represent ego."
>
> I wondered if you could explain what the teacher meant or just more
> generally what zen buddhism says about the ego - I don't actually think
> it's a term I've encountered in what I've read."

I believe the teacher meant that he speaks with the mind of the Buddha, the
selfless enlightened mind while the student " representing ego" speaks with
a mind attached to itself, self protective, some times referred to as the
small mind, a mind/being that sees itself in opposition to and separate from
everything else.

If you have read old Chan/Zen texts or their translations, you will not see
the term ego because it is a modern western term. However, it is commonly
used around western Zen centers.

All the best,

Stuart