[Buddha-l] Psychoanalysis of a Zen Teacher

Shiangtai Tuan shiangtai@alumni.duke.edu stuan at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 14 09:31:27 MDT 2011

Did not know some people's soul (or self, as the article puts it) resides in the part the circumcision removes. Well, maybe the Jewish forefathers knew that and that was why circumcision started and meant to do.  I wonder if some people's self resides in the hair and that was why a B Monk needs to have the hair removed.  Also wondered if cutting finger nails does the same.  Maybe all Zen masters who cut toe nails should go see a psychiatrist.
Lucky I am neither Jewish nor Zen Master.  Do enjoy the last comment of Bambi though.
---- Katherine Masis <twin_oceans at yahoo.com> wrote:
I missed this article about a Zen teacher who was psychoanalyzed by Dr. Jeffry Rubin (http://www.drjeffreyrubin.com/) two years ago, but it's still online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/magazine/26zen-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

Enjoy.