[Buddha-l] buddhisness

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Mon Apr 11 10:36:15 MDT 2011

Well hell, I guess I'll jump in here.

If Buddhist practice helps folks with relationships (with self/others) by increasing insight, then it can
said to be useful for business.  One might (though incorrectly I believe) make the claim that it
will boost sales, build the bottom line, etc., but there is certainly no conclusive evidence that
specifically Buddhist teachings have any beneficial effect in business.

What one can say, however, is that lack of self awareness and poor relationship skills don't make
for optimum business results, and that improvement in these areas can contribute to enhanced
communication at both interpersonal and organizational levels.

Without specifically using 'Buddhism' (American businesses shy away from 'religious' notions in the workplace)
as a discriptor, I certainly have used the bodhisattva principles as an approach to developing more self-
aware leadership.  I've also had my ass handed to me by more than one group who have taken offense
at the mention of any spiritual concept that does not include Jesus himself.  I usually turn the other cheek.

This 'Colours' thing looks like a typical 'typing' scheme which, if used correctly, can help open up folks
to a more non-judgemental way of viewing their own and other's behavioral foibles.  I doubt that it has
any more buddhist content than Meyer-Briggs or the Enneagram intrinsically do.  On the other hand,
anything that may help relax our fixations on ourselves and others might be leaning into impermanence.

Skillful means, perhaps?
Timothy Smith
Office/Mobile 831.624.8138
Fax  831.659-5112