[Buddha-l] Summer seminar on Buddhism at Bodhi Manda Zen Center

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:12:00 MDT 2011

The Department of Philosophy at the University of New Mexico and Rinzai-ji are once again co-hosting a Summer Seminar in Buddhism. The Summer Seminar on Buddhism is an intensive two-week course on the history and philosophy of Buddhism that combines academic and practical perspectives. The seminar is held in residence at the Bodhi Manda Zen Center in the Jemez Mountains, about an hour northwest of Albuquerque, New Mexico. The dates of this year's seminar are June 5-17. The application deadline is May 14, 2011.

This summer's presenters will be Sarah Shaw of Wolfson College, Oxford University and John Maraldo, distinguished professor emeritus from the University of South Florida. Professor Shaw will be lecturing on Theravāda meditation and presenting stories from the commentaries to the Dhammapada. Professor Maraldo will be lecturing on figures from the Kyōto school of philosophy.

Details about registration and the lecturers and what one can expect a typical day at the seminars to be like can all be found at http://www.summerseminar.org/ I am this year's contact person; my contact information is found below.

Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>
Department of Philosophy
MSC03 2140
1 University of New Mexico