[Buddha-l] Digital Library of India

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 14:03:32 MDT 2010

JKirkpatrick wrote:

"Digital Library of India [est. circa 2003 - ed.] - Hosted by:
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in co-operation with CMU,
IIIT, NSF, ERNET and MCIT for the Govt. of India and 21participating centers.
[...] The primary long-term objective is to capture all books in
digital format. It is believed that such a task is impossible and
could take hundreds of years, and never be completed. Thus, as a
first step we are planning to demonstrate the feasibility by
undertaking to digitize 1 million books (less than 1% of all
books in all languages ever published) by 2005.....
It will be interesting to compare their efforts with the blundering attempts to digitize NHS
Records in Britain. They've been talking about it since the dark ages but never managed it yet.
The Labour Party paid some private company millions to do it last year and had very little to
show for it. I think they got as far as a few local hospitals in the midlands - maybe about a
million records. Needless to say the programme made the computers crash and they were
talking about contacting Microsoft to see if they could help.

Dave Living/Aryacitta