[Buddha-l] Jhanas in Mahayana & Tibetan

R B Basham bshmr at aol.com
Sat Sep 25 16:24:09 MDT 2010

Jack and Non-Jack,

>>rahula_80: Can  someone point me to Mahayana and Tibetan sources of
the description of the eight jhanas?

>jackhat1: Is it correct that the suttas in the Pali Canon only name 4
jhanas?  The other 4 are called the 4 immaterial absorptions.

Chuckles. That (eight jhanas) prompted me to see how Jeffery and his GWV
was doing. That he lives can be inferred from dated web-postings; his
GWV web pages are still up plus there seems to be a FaceBook presence.
Noted merely a footnote reference at Wikipedia, BTW.

Richard Basham