[Buddha-l] Earthquake

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 10:16:03 MDT 2010

Hi,

Earthquake is caused by volcanic eruptions or tectonic plates.

I have asked around, and did some research.

It seems that Sister Vajira and Francis Story translated "vaata" as atmosphere
in this passage.
Vaata means wind (motion). PTS dictionary says "These are characterized
according to direction, dust, temperature, force, height & other causes "

Usage in Ayurvedic medicine

I have also found out that it is sometimes translated as "energy of movement" in
ayurvedic medicine.It is responsible for every movement in the body.
http://heymonicab.com/ayurveda-an-overview/vata-energy-of-movement/

"The word Vaata is derived from the Sanskrit root Va gatigandhanayoh. The word
gati means movement. So Vaata is the initiator of all life processes that are
dynamic in nature"
http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Three_Doshas#Vaata

Vata means "wind, to move, flow, direct the processes of, or command", or a
force conceptually made up of elements of wind and space.

See:
http://ayurvedahealingspa.com/about.html
http://veda.wikidot.com/tridosha

So, with a better understanding of the term, it seems the Buddha is vindicated.

Best wishes,
Rahula