[Buddha-l] Place of worship

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 05:34:08 MDT 2010

> The complex will culminate the long-held dream of Boston-area Thai
> families to honor their monarch, King Rama IX, Bhumibhol Adulyadej, who
> was born in Cambridge in 1927.

Well, while he was indeed born in Cambridge hospital
http://www.2bangkok.com/09/news09HMTheKing2.shtml
his family actually lived in Brookline, not Cambridge, since his dad was
attending Harvard Med school (and was a prince at the time, met his wife,
the future queen here too), which is across the river from the Cambridge
campus. In fact he lived literally two blocks from my home. A couple of
years ago the local Thai community put up a plaque on the building
commemorating it.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/brookline/2009/10/by_si_rosenbaum_globe_correspo.html

http://www.wickedlocal.com/brookline/fun/x637607444/Thai-historians-mark-a-Brookline-apartment-fit-for-a-king-or-two

http://www.thaifooddirect.com/beforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2741
(scroll down for detailed English account)

http://ktbf.blogspot.com/2008/12/trail-of-thai-royalty-in-massachusetts.html

for a photo of the building and the plaque, with some background story,
scroll down to the Oct 21 entry on this page:
http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?blog=8

Dan