[Buddha-l] Looking for an article/paper

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Sep 24 09:23:37 MDT 2010

Did Williams ever publish about his decision to convert to Roman
Catholcism?
Could he have originally been a Catholic or form a Catholic
family?

Joanna K.

  I don't know that article, or have access to it digitally. But
I thought I'd suggest, although you are probably already aware of
it, Paul Williams fascinating "The Reflexive Nature of Awareness:
A Tibetan Madhyamaka Defense." The fact that Williams converted
to Roman Catholicism soon after the book was published (after
living as a Tibetan Buddhist monk for two decades) demonstrates,
to my mind, the seriousness with which Williams engaged with the
issue of "What are Buddhists doing when they deny the self?"

(The list price at Curzon is >$150, but you can find it for 1/10
of that
online.)

Curt