[Buddha-l] Unpopular Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Sep 23 12:52:27 MDT 2010

  Batchelor first began to reveal his New Dispensation in a talk he gave
in 1997 at a conference in Boston, which he has published on his website
under the title "Deep Agnosticism":
http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/deepagnosticism.htm

Wherein he claims that a westerner who attempts to believe in Buddhism
is involved in "a denial of one's roots" & a "denial of one's cultural
upbringing", which, according to Batchelor, "is not actually possible to
sustain".

This is because westerners are deeply rational and, therefore, incapable
of the kind of self-deception that comes naturally to the superstitious
Asiatic mind, and which is necessary to believe in stuff like
reincarnation and karma.

Batchelor continued to reveal his pseudo-Nietzschean Eurocentric
bio-cultural determinism in his best-seller "Buddhism Without Beliefs"
in 1998, followed up this year by his "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist."

Curt