[Buddha-l] Unpopular Buddhist

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 22 15:57:06 MDT 2010

In line with the occasional attention this list pays to the demography of
religions in the US and the West, and Buddhism's place within that, a new
forthcoming book by Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam and David
Campbell, _American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us_, is discussed
in the current issue of Newsweek.

Some highlights:

"Putnam & Co. asked about Buddhists because, they had discovered, Buddhists
are one of the least popular religious groups in the country. People like
Buddhists less than they do atheists and Mormons-and only slightly more than
they do Muslims. Like Muslims, Buddhists "do not have a place in what has
come to be called America's Judeo-Christian framework..."

[...]
"The story of American religion has always been marked by this fragile
tension. On the one hand, we value tolerance and pluralism above all, and we
will fight for our neighbors' right to practice as they please. "It does me
no injury," Thomas Jefferson wrote, "for my neighbor to say there are twenty
gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
But the American religious landscape has also forever been peopled by
zealots and prophets-people who believe, rightly or wrongly, that theirs is
God's way, all others be damned. The peace we hold and say we value has been
broken, time after time, by religious leaders who reject-often violently-the
beliefs of a new, immigrant, or breakaway group. Thus the Puritans regarded
Quakers as infidels and treated them accordingly: whipping and imprisoning
some, executing others. In 1834, fearing the encroachment of an "evil"
religion, a mob of Protestants burned an Ursuline Catholic convent near
Boston. Four years later the governor of Missouri announced that all Mormons
had to leave his state or risk execution."

[...]

"80 percent of Americans say they believe that people of other religions can
go to heaven. Despite the persecutions of the past, we have had a Quaker
president, a Catholic president, and Mormon presidential candidates."

The rest at

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/17/religious-zealotry-and-american-grace.html

Feeling unpopular all of a sudden?

Dan