[Buddha-l] Earthquake

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 16 01:48:28 MDT 2010

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 09:25:47 pm Ngawang Dorje wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  "This great earth, Ananda, is established upon liquid, the liquid upon the
> atmosphere, and the atmosphere upon space. And when, Ananda, mighty
>  atmospheric disturbances take place, the liquid is agitated. And with the
>  agitation of the liquid, tremors of the earth arise. This is the first
>  reason, the first cause for the arising of mighty earthquakes." (Digha
>  Nikaya 16)
>
> How do you understand this passage in light of science?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Rahula

Sounds as good as the theory of the Ancient Greek philosopher Thales, who
thought the earth must be floating on water, the primal element, which
explains earthquakes.  I am more partial to the Chinese "giant catfish under
the earth" theory.  But the liquid theory is not far off from plate tectonics,
only the fluid is magma.

So what is the point of the question?
--
James Andy Stroble, PhD