[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 6 02:22:01 MDT 2010

Erik,

>as a philosopher words like ´usually´ and the absence of reference make
>me very suspicious. So please reveal your sources.
>erik

The first person to bring that list to my attention was the chair of the
German Department at Grinnell College, where I taught several kalpas ago. I
was surprised at the time. I have encountered the same list in print and
conversation subsequently on numerous occasions. Pretty much over the years
whenever the topic would come up anyone knowledgeable on German stylists
would recite the same list (not the same list as fiction writers, but with
overlap -- though some might consider the writings of Luther, Nietzsche, and
Freud pure fiction). Luther, because he created vernacular literary German
with his Bible translation; Goethe is the German equivalent of Shakespeare
to English literature; anyone who has read Nietzsche in German would not
question his ranking - his musicality and evocation of profound ideas with
"everyday" language is unrivaled (he was a master rhetorician, as Paul de
Man, Harold Bloom and countless others have explained). Same for Freud (who
was an avid fan of Nietzsche).

You are free to start a blog or petition to create a new list with different
rankings, and have Freud demoted on your list. Have fun.

Dan