[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Bruce G. Seidner brucegseidner at mac.com
Sun Sep 5 10:34:37 MDT 2010

Erik,

My experience tells me that it is the fiduciary relationship and our position of trust that precludes acting on the experience of attraction that is the lot of a majority of men, with and without advanced university credentials. And yes, that behavior would be abusive relative to the obvious power differential to a student and incestuous relative to our role as teachers.

I mostly think we have been attempting some selective breading over the past 50 million years or so in both our institutions and in terns of  family success. Our successful social institutions have proscribed such behavior across the cultural histories that I am aware of and as a practical matter, families trees that do not fork have not been terribly successful in the long term.

I feel more simpatico with the experience of all beings having been my mother in some interdependent experience of relationship than fear and collective guilt or "honestly folks, the totem made me do it." The hydraulic model of libido and sublimation while relating to the experience of "drive" doesn't do much for me to inform the values that we strive for in a positive way. I am blanking on the name of the then Ganden Tripa in the early 90's but I did a panel with him here at the University of Tennessee and I  think it was Moses and Monotheism that we were exploring together. Actually, I think it was Yeshe Donden. In any event, he was a very kind and bright man who deeply concerned that so much of psychology appeared to focus on deluded mind states and the muddle of upset that was the result of failing to view the ultimate nature of mind as one of wisdom and compassion. So, thats my mythology and I am sticking to it.

But in a pinch and because it is consistent with U.S. law,  there is always Leviticus where we are admonished to never use our rod on our staff.

Bruce

On Sunday09 5, , at 10:09 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Op 05-09-10 11:44, Dan Lusthaus schreef:
>>
>> As for attraction to teenage girls -- it would be a disorder if a healthy
>> straight male was NOT attracted to them. Or is that just my it talking?
>>

> Dan,
> yep and the talking of any Hells Angel and HIphop rapper. I have teenage
> girls for students and I´m not sexually attracted to them. They´re just
> kids who want to take on the great adventure which they think will be
> their life and they´ve got a lot to learn. I can make a small
> contribution. To look at them as a womb and a pair of tits would be a
> kind of incest to me.
>
> erik

Bruce

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.
Clinical & Forensic Psychology
5401 Kingston Pike
Suite 400
Knoxville, TN 37919

865-588-4232 office
865-588-4231 fax
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.