[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 5 03:44:32 MDT 2010

Bruce,

As I think I may have mentioned on this list previously, I worked for five
years in a psych hospital, so I understand well the difference between
praxis and theoria (as did Marx) and how little immediate relevance the
experimental vanguards have for day to day issues, when it trickles down at
all.

I probably don't need to tell you that the disdain you express for the
researchers is not unlike the disdain direct care staff typically hold for
the psychologists, and for similar reasons. Occupational hazard, I guess.

There is a lot of silly R&D, and repetitive experiments that add nothing
meaningful to the pool of knowledge in brain research (and most forms of
R&D, since the same types of "proposals" get the $), but amid all that there
is actually some very exciting, novel work being done. Some mappers may be
dodos, but the cutting edge folks are aware of the shortcomings, keep
pushing the technological envelop, and are developing anything but a
simplistic model of what is located where -- lots of interactions. But it
often starts by simply noting that when people have thought-type-X or
emotion-type-Y, regions Q,Z, and M light up like Xmas trees. Why, and how
that correlates comes next. R&D doesn't usually have immediate applications
in the trenches -- that takes awhile -- but the important research
eventually does provide useful materials for praxis.

Freud did not reduce everything to Eros and Thanatos -- that's comic book
Freud. On the other hand, read up on the asavas in Early Buddhism, and
you'll see that it too subscribed to kama-asava and abhava-asava as primary
forces. Everyone with a theory is a reductionist of some sort. Part of
Freud's genius was recognizing how basic forces/drives diversified in
countless ways, and uncovering some of the "laws" (= understandable
patterns) of that diffusion. Eros is a thirst for life, aesthetic
satisfaction, pleasures and happinesses of all sorts, not "erotica" in the
narrow sense. There would be no pleasure-pain conditioning possible without
it. That another primary urge is the release from tension (aka thanatos) is
also hard to deny. Rest, relaxation, sexual climax, the "oceanic" drive,
world peace, etc.; as well as the self-destructive, darker urges -- all
forms of tension release or the desire for it. Hardly reductionistic when
you think about it (or look around). Freud was not a reductionist, the
reason being that he thought that tension was a sign of life, and thus the
wish for release from all tension was unrealistic. That immediately
complicates everything. (Kind of like saying life is duhkha, now grow up and
carry on.) Along with the pleasure principle there is also a reality
principle -- which entails that the "I" (he never used the Greek terms ego
and id, that was added by his English translators -- he talked about the
"I", the "it", and what [seems to lord] "over me" *Uber-ich* [aka
"super-ego"]) mediates between the it (those impersonal drives that seem to
move me more than I can control or move them, so they are "it"-s, drives and
impulses one disowns in various ways) and the conscience, parental and
societal advice and dictates, etc. that lord over me, trying to make me
behave, think, etc., like a "good" boy. The I is healthy when it finds a
middle way. Healthy, not necessarily ecstaticly happy or enthralled. To
pursue that would entail letting the erotic pursue thanatos. It gets more
complicated from here, not reductionistic.

Does naming or simply recognizing that cure anyone? No. But it can put one
in the neighborhood for working some things out.

As for attraction to teenage girls -- it would be a disorder if a healthy
straight male was NOT attracted to them. Or is that just my it talking?

(who wants to play super-ego?)

Dan