[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Sep 4 17:36:44 MDT 2010

On Sep 4, 2010, at 14:54, "JKirkpatrick" <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> ____________
> You keep referring to this apparently bowdlerised Zarathustra
> text. So how did you see it? How do you know what's in it?
> Is the uncensored edition still available?

You can get in on Amazon.com for about $175. That's about half the cost of my book on Dignāga, the price of which has been kept high by my followers to prevent people from learning about my devotion to such anti-Semites as Amy Goodman and Noam Chomsky.

The shorter version of Jung's seminar on Zarathushtra is also available. The editorial principles involved in shortening it may have had something to do with preserving what was worth preserving and editing out what was not especially edifying. Jung really needed an editor. He's never as easy to follow as his more articulate interpreters.

My introduction to Freud was in junior high school. I read some book for a book report. It was written by a psychiatrist who said a better spelling of Freud would be Fraud. (Always a lover of word play, I never forgot that line, although fifty-odd years have erased all my other memories of that book.) Fortunately my mother was a huge fan of Freud, so she put me on to the real stuff. It was delightful to read. Freud, unlike Jung (and Vasubandhu) was a brilliant stylist.

Richard