[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Bruce G. Seidner brucegseidner at mac.com
Sat Sep 4 15:50:53 MDT 2010

No. Shame on me for being asleep at the keyboard and not being more supportive. As a former president of the Appalachian Psychoanalytic Society, I am a large fan of Freud. He was a cocaine addict well ahead of it becoming generally fashionable and one can only envy that kind of messianic assurance and self esteem.

I am just pulling your chain Dan.

It is breath taking to understand the world as presented to Freud and the rocket pack he strapped on and the visions he shared. It is easy to overlook the language and even his meta-psychology and be deeply moved by this remarkable man.

I only get edgy when hard-core scientists model the egregious reductionism of Freud and become intoxicated with the certainty that results from this form of madness.

The movement to localize brain function is particularly intoxicated these days as it gets hyper-funded by Big Pharmaceutics to create ever more specious psychiatric illness to medicate.

When I look at a weather map and all those lovely colors indicating temperature and barometric pressure I know there are thermometers and weather meters sending data that drives those displays.

When I look at functional MRI's there is the appearance of the same sort of credible data. The lions share of these scientists have become so enamored of this technology that they don't think it necessary to discuss the fact that the data driving those impressive and attractive displays is not "thinking" or "emotion" "located" in the limited head shot of the display. What we are seeing is blood flow in a head head shot mathematically transformed into those impressive and attractive displays. Like in the Wizard of Oz we are supposed to pay no attention to the statistical models and actuarial assumptions which are the predicate of these displays. These scientists are the magicians of Buddhist yore who believe in the reality of their conjured elephants.

They make me long for the good old days of phrenology. It is Gall-ing (nyuk, yuk, yuk).

Bruce

On Saturday09 4, , at 3:35 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Shame on me for pointing out that some leading hard-core scientists are
> rediscovering Freud and finding him not so useless or out to lunch after
> all.

Bruce

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.
Clinical & Forensic Psychology
5401 Kingston Pike
Suite 400
Knoxville, TN 37919

865-588-4232 office
865-588-4231 fax
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.